Facts You Should Know About Long Term Travel
Long term travel is not for everyone. It is not easy as it seems. How do I know that? Well, I travelled for a year and visited some wonderful places and learnt a lot. I gained experience and a world view. It was good for the most part but there were some not so good experiences too. If you are planning long term travel, then you should know a few facts.
- Most of us tend to believe that a long term traveller just enjoys his or her time always. We feel that it is a wonderful life where you party every day with new friends and travellers. While this sounds great, it is not always the truth. A long term traveller usually has a limited amount of funds and they cannot keep partying everywhere. Partying at a new city or country when they arrive or on other occasions is fine, but if you are under the impression that you will be partying everyday and hence planned a long term trip then you are in for an awakening.
- Most of us feel that we will be traveling with new friends and new acquaintances wherever we go. This is a huge misconception mainly due to the photographs that we see of other travellers with beautiful companions in exotic places. When you travel be prepared to live a solitary lifestyle. Most of the time you will be without companions, so condition your brain to accept this fact in advance. If you do not like to be lonely you can get company if you are a social person but again it all depends on how you interact with others. Even if you are one of the most gregarious persons around when you travel for a long time you need to be prepared to be without company for a lengthy period.
- Most of us feel that the local cuisine that we are going to encounter would be the best. If you suppose so then you are farther from the truth. Not all food would be good for your taste buds. In fact, most of the food we see in travel magazines and food magazines are good only to look at, when you consume them you will enjoy them at all. Having toured a few countries, getting a McDonald’s burger to eat was my most satisfying.
- Be prepared to get sick. The travel, the food, the sleep pattern will surely make you sick and during this phase you will want to return to the confines of your home country. There will be hospitals and doctors to take care of you but nothing like home is what you will feel.
- Most long term travellers sell their belongings before embarking on travel, but it is advisable to keep them in self storage as they can get it back when they return. I used a Baton Rouge storage company to store my items, you can do the same in your city.
These are some of the facts that you should know. Also it is advisable to spend less on your travels.