As you visit south Island in New Zealand, don’t hesitate to put Christchurch on your list of places to see. It’s a favorite destination for many people and is easy to get to in a motorhome hire New Zealand.
While there is much more that you’ll want to see as you travel in a motorhome hire New Zealand, make sure to allot a good amount of time for visiting Christchurch. Whether you’re travelling with your friends, with your kids, or alone, you’ll find that there is plenty to see and do in Christchurch.
To get you started planning, the following places and activities are some of the best in Christchurch. Yet, make sure to leave some time for even more fun and experiences to be had while in the area. Take a look:
- Do you like gardens? Good, because Christchurch is well-known for being a place with plenty of beautiful gardens to see. Whether you visit the Botanic gardens or Hagley Park, you will be rewarded with beautiful greenery and fountains alike while taking a break in one of the city’s many garden places.
- Visit Quail Island: If you want to have a bit of history in your life while visiting Christchurch, book a ferry to Quail Island where you’ll discover shipwrecks and former quarantine stations, while also getting to enjoy the gorgeous beaches in the area. You can also do a bushwalk if you’re in the mood for it, making it a fun, nearby getaway from Christchurch.
- Take some time to see Sumner Beach: Located in the outskirts of Christchurch, you can enjoy Sumner Beach if you want to have some sun and sand on your vacation. Not only will you be able to enjoy a beach visit, but the unique caves and archways add to the beauty of the area, while the wildlife is plentiful and there for you to admire.
- Check out the Orana Wildlife Park: If you’re want to see wildlife in a controlled environment without having to see them in cages, you can get in a cage yourself and enjoy visiting the unique animals at the Orana Wildlife Park, only 15 minutes away from the Christchurch airport. From lions to gorillas, as well as the ever-elusive Kiwi bird, it’s a fun experience for children and adults alike.
- Take a day trip to the majestic Southern Alps: If you want to enjoy a train trip while in New Zealand, you can be sure that it is a fabulous opportunity for you to take in views of the gorgeous landscapes that are so common in New Zealand. All you have to do is sit back on the TranzAlpine, as you admire the majestic Southern Alps.
- Go jet boating on the Waimakariri River: It’s something that the locals enjoy and we’re quite certain that you’ll love it too. Jet boating is an all-time favorite pastime in this area of New Zealand and certainly worth your time as you visit the Canterbury/Christchurch region. It’s fun, adventurous, refreshing, and most certainly a unique experience for those who are new to the area.
- Go to Adrenaline Forest: If you’re visiting with your kids, you may want to check out Adrenaline Forest, where you and your kids can enjoy fun, heart pumping experiences like ziplining and more. With a number of challenging courses to tackle, you and your family will be busy for hours on end. It’s a great way to stretch your legs, enjoy fresh weather, and get out and about after road tripping throughout South Island.
- Visit art galleries and museums: From museums and memorials to remember the quake to art galleries, chic restaurants, and gourmet meals, if you like city living, you’ll appreciate the many places to see and observe while in the city. From CocA to Art Box Gallery, there is no shortage to entertaining experiences in this south Island gem. You can learn more about the history of the city and enjoy trying new dishes while in Christchurch.
Are you planning to enjoy as much as possible while visiting New Zealand? Make sure to put Christchurch and its surrounding areas on your map. From beach spots to quirky islands, fun adventures, interesting history, gardens, and galleries, there is plenty to keep you and yours busy for as many days as you have planned to visit.
It isn’t Milford Sounds or Mt. Cook, but if you’re looking for a fun city to visit with plenty to do in the area, you won’t regret it. It’s ideal for families who want to take some time relaxing with their kids, while still having just the right amount of nature fun to enjoy.
As you pack up your motorhome hire New Zealand and get ready to travel the country, be sure that you won’t be wasting your time visiting this area of the country. It’s beautiful, iconic, and has a laidback vibe that you’ll enjoy. Happy travelling!